Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Pollyanna at the Laundry-Mat (yes, I know it's Laundromat)

I hate to get all "Pollyanna" on you, but I really did have a wonderful morning at the Laundromat today.
I lug all of my dirty clothes to Payson now and do laundry either before or after work.
Because, quite frankly, I don't do much of ANYTHING in Nephi anymore. I think I'll move to Utah County when my lease is up here. So I was thinking about that this morning, and having mixed feelings. Worried that there aren't any friendly people "up north" and that I would hate it.
And then this cute little Mexican lady at the laundromat walked over to me and handed me her business card. English on the front of the card, Spanish 0n the back. Or vice-versa. But she handed it to me English-side up:) I guess she is a ph0tographer. Whatever she does, she was adorable. Didn't speak a word to me. Just handed me her card and gave me a warm smile. I was drawn to her immediately.

I had been reviewing an article in National Geographic magazine for my Biological Anthropology class while I waited for my laundry.

And one of the Mexican guys in the group came over to me and asked in broken English... "You go to school?" I told him I had returned to college after 25 years and he said
"Never too late"
Awe... I loved him. He had a warm smile too and I just wanted to go home with these happy, upbeat, friendly people and live happily ever after with homemade tortillas and a love like Grandma G's permeating my life.
These awesome people made me realize I can be happy "up north".
I've started looking for the perfect little place.
It will be fun:)

4 comments:

Another Sunny Day said...

You know my mom and I used to spend every Sunday at the laundry-mat... While it wasn't the most excited thing I could think of to do on a weekend as a 16 year old girl, I have many memories of those times with her. My mom had this thing about laundry, she was really intense about it... Not sure why. Anyway your mentions of the laundry-mat always make me think of her fondly so thank you for that...

Also, we live in a predominantly Lantino community, and not to sound prejudiced or anything but we have found the mexican people we have gotten to meet to be some of the most Christan (in the best sense of the word) kind hearted and unassumingly thoughtful people than anywhere we have lived. Of course there are judgmental and unkind people every where and in every community, but I think you might find yourself quite happy up north!

I love you Tina, forever. I look forward to your posts and stories of your journey in your new life! You can do it beautiful... We're all behind you!!!

Another Sunny Day said...

Ps ... It's me, Elizabeth

Another Sunny Day said...

Your Favorite cousin...

Tina said...

Oh my beautiful cousin:) Thank you so much for your comments!!! Can't wait til June:) Love you!!!!