Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The 9th Step

So I just heard the story of Liz Seccuro who was raped at a frat party in 1984. 21 years later, as part of the AA 12-Step program, her rapist sent her a letter apologizing for the experience she had as a result of his alcohol addiction. With the return address on the letter, Liz pressed charges and William Beebe was convicted of the rape. Way to go, Liz!

I'm a fan of recovery. I'm a fan of therapy. I'm not a fan of the 9th step. Each crime victim heals in her own way. A letter 20 years after the fact is just re-victimizing the victim. Write the letter as part of your recovery if you need to. If you're going to send it, be prepared for the consequences. As for me, I wouldn't want to receive the letter at all.

And there you go. A strange little blog entry about something that was on my mind today. Happy Thursday otherwise:)

No comments: