Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, February 18, 2011

The Master's Hand

I'm super tired, but I had to blog about my awesome day before I go to sleep.
I had to critique some fine art for one of my college classes, so I went to the
Carl Bloch exhibit "The Master's Hand" at BYU this morning.
*
No, wait, first I went clear to Lindon to get a new windshield. We got a rock chip in 2007 and never fixed it, so it finally turned into a spidery web of cracks. But I guess that's beside the point.

The exhibit of Carl Bloch's work was breathtaking. Many of his works are altar pieces, designed to be the focal point at the front of Christian chapels in Denmark and Sweden. And they are massive. Huge oil paintings on canvas and absolutely unbelievable. "The Doubting Thomas" is the first piece you see when you walk into the exhibit. The room was completely silent, and there was a sense of reverence throughout the exhibit hall as I walked through each room.





I can't really articulate how this painting " Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane" made me feel, but I couldn't stop crying when I saw it. I feel like God has kind of asked me to go through a lot lately. But nothing like what Jesus Christ went through. And He has sent me angels the same way He sent them to Jesus in Gethsemane. Jesus was vulnerable, in need of comfort, just like I am sometimes. But what He had to go through was so much more difficult than anything I have to face. This painting touched me in a way that I just can't explain adequately.




I was all alone at the exhibit and spent about two hours looking at Bloch's paintings and the poignant photography of Dorothea Lange. It was just the kind of day I love. Nobody rushing me to move on to something more exciting. I was so glad I went by myself and took the time to enjoy it all.
I had quiche for the first time ever, and I took like 45 minutes to enjoy my nice, peaceful lunch.

They asked me to stay an extra hour at work tonight, and this woman came to my checkout line. Amy the Savvy Shopper brought every ad from every newspaper in the state, coupons to match her price-matched ads, and double coupons from K-Mart. She knows what she is doing. It took me an hour, but she got a cart full of groceries, name-brand groceries, not Great Value, for $18.00. Amazing. Guess I'll be going to one of her classes in the near future.
All in all, a great day. It was great to realize that I like hanging out with me. We had a great time: me, myself and I, and I think we can get used to this. Life is pretty good, I'd say:)

No comments: