Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Red Cross shelter

 So fires are consuming our state right now. One of the worst ones is the Wood Hollow fire, about 20 miles from our home in Ephraim. I got a phone call on Monday to see if I was available to help in the Red Cross shelter at North Sanpete High School, where people evacuated from their homes in Indianola and Fairview were staying. I joined the Utah MRC (Medical Reserve Corps) about three years ago and never really thought I'd actually get called out in an emergency, but I was excited to do it!
 I signed up for a 12 hour shift, and was just delighted when I got there to see where I'd be spending my 12 hours. lol.
 Most of the evacuees were gone by the time my shift started, but we did have two families still there when I arrived.
 Even so, the only medical care I gave in my entire 12-hour shift was to give a bandaid to one of the other volunteers.
 It was a great experience to see how the shelter works, though.
 I think I'll be making cash donations to the Red Cross now. They need it.
 A few hours into my shift, Judy from Orem came back to the medical area and invited me to come up front and visit with the rest of the staff. I had already watched two DVD's on my laptop and was ready to get out of that room!
 Sheila, Heather, Cathy and Mike hard at work.
 Once Commander Cathy arrived (retired Navy commander), the work of the shelter was winding down, and Cathy and I dismantled the health center.
Here are the medical supplies, diapers and feminine hygiene products I had custody of during my time at the shelter. It was a great experience, and made me question my decision to NOT recertify as an EMT next year when my certification lapses. I may just stick with it after all.

No comments: