Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, August 08, 2010

~Family~

So this is the newest addition to our
FAMILY~
a teeny little dog named
Hemi
I tend her every day while Ashli and Mack go to work.
I'm ready to be a Grandma, but I am glad Ashli and Mack are waiting to have children until life is somewhat stable.. they're only 20 years old, after all....
So, I'll wait... patiently... and tend their baby dog in the meantime:)
I've been thinking about FAMILIES a LOT lately...
A couple of my high school friends have faced some challenges in their families and it just got me thinking... it absolutely breaks my heart to see families fall apart.
Sometimes marriages just have to end.. after every effort has been made, after every avenue has been explored, after lots of advice and prayer and tears...
Sometimes it just has to end..
But the family unit doesn't have to end... Mom and Dad are mutual parents of their joint children forever.... so I'm happy when I see people putting their own issues aside for the good of their children and maintaining a strong family bond even when Mom and Dad aren't together anymore. One of my friends said "Happiness is all that matters" I could not DISAGREE more.
Integrity matters. Morals matter. Compassion matters. Sacrifice matters. There is much more to life than our personal "happiness". In our marriage, we have both given up personal happiness at one point or another for the good of the children, for the good of each other, or just simply because it was the right thing to do.
So, my rambling thoughts about family brought me to the definition of a
FAMILY
I have some gay friends. I love them. They're good parents. They're good people. They want to be legal families.. they want to be able to legally get married.
And I'm not sure how I feel about this. My political party and my religion are pretty clear about where they stand on California's Proposition 8. But where do I stand on a personal level? It's so easy on paper... Satan is attacking the family. He is trying to destroy the family unit. But you ask the two adorable kids of my gay friends and they'll say they have a great family. They have a Mom and a Dad and Mom's partner and all of these adults absolutely ADORE them. Sure, it's nontraditional. But my family is nontraditional, too. We haven't had a Mom for 23 years. Is it worse to have two Moms than no Mom at all? I don't know....
But I do know that there is simply no continuation of the human race whatsoever without a man AND a woman creating a child, thus creating a family...
Here's what I do know... whatever the family unit.. a dog named Hemi instead of a baby, two Moms, a single Dad, my newly divorced friend with four kids... I think it is absolutely vital that we as adults make the lives of children as "traditional" as possible. Men bring something to the lives of children that women simply can't and vice versa. I hope that when we find ourselves in a position where our children are no longer in a home with Mom and Dad together, we give them opportunities to spend quality time with Grandmas or Grandpas, Uncles or Aunts, religious leaders, teachers, people of both genders, to bring their unique gifts and talents to the lives of children.
This past summer, we've had to find a balance between all of the things we want in our family. Money is tight, so we didn't go to a Yankees game this year... we went camping.
Ah! I'm so GLAD that money was tight.. this camping trip blessed our lives tremendously.
Read a great scripture in Sacrament Meeting today...
2 Timothy 2:20
But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver,
but also of wood and of earth..
Love that..




We do still love our baseball, so we've gone to a couple Orem Owlz
games on Sundays, when it's only $1 to get in....
It's been fun, but nothing can compare to the feeling we
had last August when our daughter married the love of her
life in the Manti temple...


So I think we've decided to skip the Sundays at the ball park.
I think we can spring for $4 on a Tuesday if we really
want to hit an Owlz game:)




It's vital that we teach our children the value of hard work,
no matter what their chosen profession will eventually be.





Whatever we do, wherever we are, the bottom
line is simply this...
Together is the best place to be...




...And I vow to never take it for granted that
we have six people (and two dogs) who love each
other immensely... who are willing to
sacrifice time, money, and personal desires
for the good of each other.
I am SO blessed to have this amazing
family..





1 comment:

Our Family of Four said...

fantastic blog. i couldn't agree more! having a family, and raising your family to be hard working, loving, giving, etc.. is a great thing! i hope and pray that i can raise Calee, and our future children, to be the same way!