Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Help!!!

PLEASE help me. 
I have been making a huge effort over the last year or so to be less judgmental and to accept that people have faults and flaws and hope that they will do the same for me. 
Tonight, however, I find myself judging an athlete who has a history of  "recreational" drug use and a DUI conviction. I should be thrilled and proud that an American has achieved such great success as an athlete, but all I can think is that I wish the glory were going to someone else. 
I feel the same way about baseball players-many of them my beloved Yankees- who have been a part of the steroid scandals. I just don't get all gaga about their records.
It seems, well, not EARNED. 
 I guess I hold certain people to a ridiculously high standard. I expect them to be better than the rest of us. The DUI thing, though. I expect that of the rest of us, too. No drinking and driving. Period. End of story. I expect that of everyone I know. 
Not just the famous athletes. 
I used to LOVE to watch the Olympics with my Mom when I was a little girl. 
Now it seems less pure somehow, less real. More staged. None of the gymnasts even shed a tear while our flag was raised. Only one of them even attempted to sing the Star Spangled Banner. 
I'm just feeling a little bummed that I'm not more excited about the success of my fellow Americans tonight. 
Grrr. 
I miss the good old days. 

No comments: