Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

I'm Torn...

I'm having a tough week... the suicide of the gay Rutgers University student really broke my heart. Life is hard enough when you're 18-25 years old.. Heck, life is hard enough when you're 1-100 years old-without the absolute trauma this kid went through. I know I'm getting old and I sound like our grandparents here, but the kid shouldn't have been having sex with anyone, male or female, so I'm setting that aside. Sex should be, if not in marriage, at the very least in some sort of committed monogamous relationship. It shouldn't be with one person tonight and a different person tomorrow and so on. BUT.... he shouldn't have died for it. He shouldn't have been so publicly humiliated and I would like to see those who filmed him be charged with murder. I would.

And then as I settled in for the weekend to enjoy messages from our church leaders at General Conference, I heard Elder Boyd K Packer's talk and I just didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling as I listened to him. I can't help but think Christ would want to show love for ALL of us if he were here. I have no idea how I feel about gay marriage. I know how I feel about gay PEOPLE.. I LOVE them! Most of my gay friends are amazing people.. loving, kind, super TALENTED. (Why is that? They seem to have more talent than the entire heterosexual world put together.) Many of them are in committed relationships, raising children in a loving home. So, I'm conflicted. Am I the only Latter Day Saint who isn't 100% on board with this issue? I've never felt this way before. I was raised to believe that "whether by My own voice or by the voice of My servants, it is the same", so I'm really struggling with this. I absolutely believe that the family is essential. We all need to be committed to family living and I hate to see marriages crumbling all around me. But.... not every family has a Mom and a Dad. I really need some enlightenment here.

1 comment:

Our Family of Four said...

I agree with you a lot! I definitely believe in a family, and yes, obviously it takes a man and a woman to make a baby, but it doesn't take that to raise one. I know a lot of gay people and they are just as deserving of a baby as my husband and I are, I believe. I don't think God will ever discriminate against a person because they are gay. I've always had a strong opinion about this also, so your not alone! :)