Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, April 21, 2018

The Week Before Surgery

It's been a LONG week. We saw the breast surgeon on Tuesday(who introduced herself as "Jennifer" btw, immediately putting me at ease) and scheduled a double mastectomy for April 25. I had an MRI on Friday. Ok THAT is pretty much one of the most unpleasant experiences ever. I'm super proud of myself for holding still and simply making it through. Apparently it could have been worse, though. For a breast MRI, you lie on your stomach and literally scoop your breasts down into these two holes. Your head is lying on a pillow like the ones on a massage table. And the similarities to a massage table end there. But, going into the tube facedown apparently causes less claustrophobic panic than going in face up. So there's that.  
All the bells and whistles are still there, though. And by that I mean super loud bursts of all sorts of different sounds, from knocking to banging to clanging. 
 Ken has been AMAZING this week. He's been there for everything. Tuesday, he took me to Build-a-Bear and we built a pink bear named BooBoo with Ken's voice recorded saying "I love you baby". We bought button-top pajamas, soft socks and slippers for the hospital. He took me to lunch at Tucanos. He tries to assure me that I will still be me without the 42 DD's that I've had for the last 20 years. 
But I still worry that my grandbabies will never sleep as comfortably on Nana's chest as Staten did today. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That picture of you and Staten is way too cute. Honestly, it made me tear up a little bit, too! Your grandbabies will always snuggle their nana and sleep comfortably with you, even without the extra cushioning! As long as they’re close to their nana :) We love you!

Tawni said...

Oh sis!! I can’t even come up with the right words to say. You are so courageous and have held it together so well throughout this whole process so far. I am here for you and I know you will kick cancers ass!! You are a true hero to me and I love you more than any words could ever express!!

Tami Searle said...

I love you so much sis. My heart aches for you. I know that you are worried about your grandbabies snuggling up to you. I promise the snuggles will still come and the love will be even stronger. Nothing can ever change the love they have for their nana. Love youb��

Unknown said...

Your courage is as astounding as you are! And those babies all love you way to much to lose the snuggle time they get with their nana. You honest, true, unconditional loving nature will always put them at ease. The DD’s have nothing to do with it. You will be snuggling them all again in no time. I love you sister ����